The OTU-8000 Optical Test Unit lies at the core of the Viavi Solutions® optical network monitoring system (ONMSi). Combining optical time-domain reflectometry (OTDR) and optical-switch technology, a single OTU-8000 unit can test hundreds of fiber links. When a fiber fault occurs, the ONMSi reports the GPS location of the fault within minutes.
The modularity of the OTU-8000 meets all of the requirements for monitoring light or dark fiber-optic networks. Integrated with the latest technology, it can monitor both longhaul and FTTx networks.
With the OTU-8000 installed at the central office, providers can test hundreds of live passive optical networks (PONs), regardless of the split ratio. It can accelerate PON installations when setting up new customers and troubleshooting by enabling technicians to sectionalize the network to determine the cause of a fault.
Organizations concerned with network security issues can use the OTU-8000 to detect and locate fiber tapping after only a few tenths of a decibel are inserted.
- Reduce MTTR by locating fiber optic faults in minutes instead of hours
- Reduce operational costs by eliminating erroneous dispatches
- Anticipate service disruptions by detecting fiber degradation before it affects service
- Protect your fiber investment by monitoring the long-term performance of installed fibers
- Reduce construction costs by accelerating test processes and empowering test staff
- Protect network integrity by quickly detecting and locating fiber intrusion